Are you looking for the best place to stay in Langkawi for family? Want the best family friendly hotels in Langkawi for your budget (whether big or small)? Not sure where the best location to stay in Langkawi is? Regardless of your budget in this guide we cover off on all the best family hotels in Langkawi so you can find the perfect place to stay for your family trip.
We not only look at where to stay in Langkawi with family – we also provide details about the various Langkawi beaches so you can choose the best area to stay in Langkawi based on your families preferences. We look at a range of Langkawi accommodation for family – both hotels and resorts – including all the Langkawi resorts with kids club, budget hotels in Langkawi for families (such as Malibest and Sunset Beach Resort Langkawi) as well as the Langkawi luxury hotels and resorts such as the stunning Berjaya Langkawi Resort.
No matter what sort of Langkawi family resort or hotel you’re looking more, no doubt you will find the perfect Langkawi family hotel in this guide.
- 1 Where to Stay in Langkawi with Family – Langkawi Beaches
- 2 Best Place to Stay in Langkawi: Langkawi Resorts and Hotels
- 3 Best Time to Visit Langkawi
- 4 Things to do in Langkawi
- 5 Getting to Lankgawi
- 6 Getting Around Langkawi
Where to Stay in Langkawi with Family – Langkawi Beaches
First things first, where are the best places to stay in Langkawi? Keep reading to decide which area to stay in Langkawi.
Located on the western coast of Langkawi, with its long, curved stretch of white sands, its picturesque setting of emerald blue waters, overlooking several islands and reefs it’s no wonder why it is considered the most popular and best location to stay in Langkawi. Hence, this area has a vast amount of beach lined Langkawi family friendly hotels and Langkawi resorts for families to choose from, as well as beach bars and restaurants.
We stayed here and highly recommend it – the beach here is just stunning and the ocean is calm and warm perfect for families. It is also in a super central location with a variety of places to eat, shops and massage places.
If you like the idea of Cenang but want something a little quieter than Tengah is for you. This Langkawi beach is also on western coast line, just south of Pantai Cenang, it is not as crowded but just as beautiful. There are several good hotels and Langkawi family resorts here, as well, nice restaurants, and some shops in the area. However, if you want a larger choice Cenang is mostly in walking distance from here.
Another great beach area on the western coast and north of Pantai Cenang is Kok. This area is a relatively peaceful and a quiet bay that’s surrounded by limestone hills and rainforests. While there is a public beach here, there are no hotels or restaurants on the public beach as this area is more for luxury beach resorts in Langkawi with private beaches. There are some great tourist attractions here including the famous Cable Car and Seven Wells waterfalls. I’d recommend this beach if you want to get away from it all in a stunning setting.
Situated on the southeast corner of Langkawi, this is the capital of Langkawi and arrival point for those who travel via ferries. While there aren’t any stretches of beaches here, it is hub of duty free shopping in the island. Kuah is home to many great hotels and restaurants as well as several historical attractions. Many people choose to base themselves here whilst they do their sightseeing of the Island.
Located at the north western end of the main island, this is probably one of the more far reached areas. However, Datai Bay is a favourite destination for the rich and famous, as it hosts the most exclusive, swanky 5 star hotels in Langkawi with great amenities such as spa centres, a private beach and golf course. Surrounded by a tropical rainforest there are a few tourist attractions nearby including public beach, waterfalls, and Crocodile Farm.
Padang Matsirat is a quiet and peaceful town in Langkawi and is where Langkawi International Airport is located. There is no beach here and there is only a handful of dining and shopping options but there are several great hotels and tourist attractions like the tombs, a snake sanctuary and the batik art village.
Pantai Tanjung Rhu
Situated on the northern shoreline, other than a couple of great luxury resorts with private beaches, this area is isolated from the crowd. There are few tourist attractions, not many public dining options or great shopping areas, but Tanjung Rhu has one of Langkawi’s best shorelines and arguably the best beach in Langkawi. The waters are crystal clear, the sand is powder-fine and driving here takes you towards a dense corridor of jungle which is an unforgettable sight. The atmosphere here is silent and peaceful for those wanting an escape from the other touristy areas.
Air Hangat & Kilim
In this area there are not many hotels or restaurants, but it is well known for some of the great tourist attractions like access to Langakwi’s highest mountain Gunung Raya offering breathtaking views, boat tours for Kilim Geopark, Waterfalls, the Air Hangat Village with natural hot spring and museums.
Best Place to Stay in Langkawi: Langkawi Resorts and Hotels
Now you have an idea of the area to stay in Langkawi lets book the perfect family accommodation in Langkawi. Whatever your budget there are some great family hotels in Langkawi. Whether you are after the more luxurious family friendly hotels in Langkawi or one of the good Langkawi budget hotels – I guarantee you will find something perfect for your family.
Langkawi Resorts with Kids Club
Resorts with kids club tend to be a little more expensive, but offer fantastic facilities and hours of entertainment for little ones. If your budget doesn’t allow you to stay at a resort with kids club for the entire trip, do what we did and split your time between a budget hotel and a resort with kids club. We stayed at a budget hotel for our sightseeing days and a resort with kids club for our relaxing beach days.
The Berjaya Langkawi Resort is a five-star resort located amongst lush tropical rainforest with direct beach access in Burau Bay in Pantai Kok. There is no doubt this is one of the best Langkawi luxury resorts and many say this is in fact the best resort in Langkawi. This is the perfect choice for those wanting to stay at one of the luxury beachfront hotels in Langkawi away from it all.
- This Langkawi beach resort is located a short walk from the Langkawi Cable Car as well as from a few shops and restaurants;
- On site facilities at this Langkawi family accommodation includes swimming pool, spa, gym, table tennis, beach volleyball, playground, kids club (great Langkawi accommodation for family), tour desk and shuttle service to town;
- The kids club is open daily between 8.30 am to 9 pm with activities including lego, board, games, movies, puzzles, playground and play station. For 100 RM for a full day or 70 RM for half a day ( 9 am to 2pm or 2.30 pm to 7.30 pm) children will be provided with meals and activities such as a animal paper creation, painting, kite making, tee-shirt painting, animal balloon making, henna tattoos, nature/mangrove walks, animal experiences, sandcastle building. Kids club is suitable for children aged 4 to 12 (under 4 is welcome but must be accompanied by an adult);
- There are various accommodation options such as private chalets on stilts above the water, studios and family rooms. Family rooms include two interconnecting rooms with 1 bedroom having a double bed and the other room containing 2 single beds. Rooms also include a balcony with view, free WIFI, TV, air conditioning, and tea and coffee making facilities;
- 82% of people on TripAdvisor rate this resort as excellent or very good making it one of the top 10 hotels in Langkawi;
- At the time of publishing the best rate for 2 adults and 2 children was $413 per night in a family chalet including breakfast on Agoda.
2. The Westin Langkawi Resort and Spa
This 5 star beachfront resort & spa, Facing the Andaman Sea, is surrounded by the beautiful natural landscape, situated only 500 meters away from the private beachfront near Kuah.
- The Westin Resort and Spa is ideally located on Langkawi Island, only one kilometre from the main harbour of Langkawi, 3 km from Kuah’s duty-free shopping centres and 20-minute drive from Langkawi International Airport.
- Being one of the top hotels in Langkawi, on site facilities include 6 dining options, a spa and free Wi-Fi in public areas, tennis court, gym, adult pool with swim up bar, kids swimming pool, kids club, playground and Babysitting service (perfect if you are wanting the best hotel in Langkawi for family).
- The kids club is open daily between 9 am to 7 pm with activities including exploring the beach, nature walks, bird watching, painting, reading books and games. Activities take place at the resort beach, pool or in the kids club itself. Price is 150 RM for a full day or 100 for a half day and includes lunch and an activity pack. Kids club is suitable for children aged 4 to 12 (under 4 is welcome but must be accompanied by an adult);
- There are various accommodation options to choose from and each room, suite and villa is equipped with a personal safe, a flat-screen TV, minibar and private bathroom with a bathtub.
- 88% of people on TripAdvisor rate this resort as excellent or very good putting it as a clear contender for the best hotel in Langkawi;
- This is no budget hotel, and at the time of publishing the best rate for 2 adults and 2 children was a hefty $1026 per night in a 2 bedroom self contained villa on Agoda.
3. The Four Seasons Resort Langkawi
The Four Seasons Resort Langkawi, is a five star resort providing a balance between romantic and family-friendly, with many saying it is the best hotel to stay in Langkawi given it is located on what is said to be the most beautiful Langkawi beach, Tanjung Rhu.
- The resort is situated on the Tanjung Rhu Beach, it is not near any main Langkawi attractions, but it is self-contained, with restaurants, bars, tennis, ping-pong, and a private beach with volleyball and water-sport rentals. For outside activities it’s a 10-minute drive to the Durian Perangin Waterfall, which is a nice spot for a picnic, and a 10-minute boat ride to the Kilim Karst Geoforest Park mangroves.
- Onsite facilities include an adult-only pool, and a Spa. A kids’ pools, a kids’ club, playground, pony rides, rock climbing, and an educational discovery centre (great if you are looking for the best resort in Langkawi for family). Bike tours are on offer through a village and rice paddies.
- The rooms are luxurious Malayan-style pavilions with flat-screen TVs, DVD players, and terrazzo bathtubs. Rooms have private furnished balconies or patios, and complimentary Wifi.
- The kids club is open daily between 10 am to 6 pm and free for guests with activities including painting, kids yoga, nature excursions and treasure hunts, playground, cooking classes and parent-free mangroves & monkeys safari cruises. Kids club is suitable for children aged 4 to 12 (under 4 is welcome but must be accompanied by an adult
- 94% of people on TripAdvisor rate this resort as excellent or very good, making it one of the top resorts in Langkawi.
- This resort is the ultimate in luxury and comes with a hefty price tag. At the time of publishing the best rates were on Agoda. For a room which can accommodation 2 adults and 1 child was $862 per night including breakfast or $2832 for a family villa which includes its own swimming pool and breakfast.
4. The Andaman
One of the luxury Langkawi beach hotels is the Andaman, set on a private beach surrounded in an ancient rain forest and the turquoise waters of the private Datai Bay.
- Located 35 kilometres away from Langkawi International Airport, and 20 km from both the Langkawi Cable Car and the Langkawi Sky Bridge. The powdery stretch of sand in front of the resort is the gateway to the great coral reef to go and explore with a spot of snorkeling.
- Onsite facilities include a lagoon pool, with a yellow slide and a kids’ pool, Young Explorers Club, babysitting, Turkish baths and spa, and day and night nature walk for all guests. With all these kid friendly facilities this is one of the great Langkawi Island hotels for families.
- There are various rooms and suites to choose from, some even have their private pool. All of which come with 32-inch flat-screen TVs, DVD players (there is a DVD library on-site), iPod docks, free Wifi and free bottled water.
- The kids club is open daily from 10 am to 6 pm with activities including educational excursions that revolve around nature and exploration. painting, playing with toys and water and going on monkey hunts Kids club is suitable for children aged 4+ (under 4 is welcome but must be accompanied by an adult) and is free for guests;
- 92% of people on TripAdvisor rate this resort as excellent or very good putting it among the top 10 resorts in Langkawi;
- At the time of publishing the best rate was on Booking.com for 2 adults and 2 children was $334 per night in a deluxe room with rainforest view, including breakfast.
5. The Sheraton / Century Four Points Resort
Formerly known as the Sheraton Langkawi Beach Resort, the Century Four Points Resort features contemporary Malaysian architecture, set amidst 38 acres of lush tropical gardens with private cove beach inlets, on a private beach overlooking the Strait of Malacca not too far from the cable car and Telaga Harbour.
- Located 2 km from Langkawi International Airport (perfect if you need one of the Langkawi hotels near airport), 8 km from Under Water World, 7 km from the Langkawi Cable Car and 11 km from the Pantai Cenang.
- On site facilities include a restaurant, outdoor pool, a kids’ pool, kids club, a fitness room and a convenience store. The private beach offers a bar and sports.
- Various rooms and suites to choose from all come with free Wi-Fi, flat-screen TVs, and tea and coffee making facilities. Upgraded rooms offer sitting areas, Suites add living rooms and kitchenettes
- 55% of people on TripAdvisor rate this resort as excellent or very good. Unfortunately at the time of publication recent reviews seem to indicate this hotel may need some improvement, although there are a few good recent reviews. Whilst this hotel has all the facilities to make it one of the best beach hotels in Langkawi, I would check these reviews closely and see if the improve before booking this hotel.
- At the time of publishing the best rate was on Agoda for 2 adults and 2 children was $127 per night in a superior room, which includes an additional bed and breakfast.
6. Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort & Spa
The Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort & Spa is set on a white sandy beach, and is a great choice for people who want to be in the centre of it all in Cenang.
- This is one of the best Langkawi Island resorts for families, located 15 minutes from the airport on popular Cenang Beach with a short walk to great shopping and restaurants.
- Onsite facilities include two resort pools and both having water slides and children’s play areas. The main Horizon pool has a kids splash zone, there is also a casade pool which has a swim up bar. There are also 2 restaurants, and a full-service spa.
- The Kiki kids club is open daily between 9 am to 5 pm and free for guests with activities including outdoor games, arts and crafts. Kids club is suitable for children aged 4+ (under 4 is welcome but must be accompanied by an adult);
- There are a wide range of room types to select from, including family rooms. Each come with free Wi-Fi, flat-screen TVs, minibars, and tea and coffeemakers. Some offer beach, pool or lake views, and suites include living areas.
- 83% of people on TripAdvisor rate this resort as excellent or very good.
- At the time of publishing the best rate was on Booking.com for 2 adults and 2 children was $404 per night in a family room including breakfast.
7. The Danna Langkawi
The Danna Langkawi is amongst Langkawi hotels 5 star accommodation picks. This luxury hotel is set directly on a beautiful beach at Telaga Harbor with blue waters, and lush tropical hills as a backdrop. Couples are the main clientele at The Danna Langkawi, Malaysia, but with plenty of kid-friendly amenities, there is a good balance for families and couples alike.
- Located at Telaga Harbour Park and only 2 km from both the Skycab and the Langkawi Sky Bridge.
- Facilities include several restaurants, bars and lounges, a cafe overlooking the outdoor 3-tier infinity pool, a wellness spa, outdoor hot tub, a gym, and a library. There is also a kids’ club with scheduled activities and games, a kid’s pool, plus a babysitting service for a fee. The private beach features cabanas, loungers, and sand volleyball. These family friendly facilities also make this a great Langkawi resort hotel for families.
- The kids club is open daily between 10 am to 8 pm and free for guests with activities including drawing, colouring, paper origami, watching television, games and reading.. Kids club is suitable for children aged 3+ (under 3 is welcome but must be accompanied by an adult);
- There are various accommodation types to select from, but all these colonial-style rooms with floor-to-ceiling windows and wood floors, include flat-screen TVs, kettles or nespresso machines, minibars, and free Wi-Fi. Some have balconies, and 4-poster beds. Refined suites add details like separate living rooms, spa, sea views and/or private plunge pools.
- 96% of people on TripAdvisor rate this resort as excellent or very good.
- At the time of publishing the best rate was on Agoda. Rooms only accommodate 2 adults and 1 child and start at $443 per night with breakfast. Alternatively there are suites available sleeping up to 6 people – contact the hotel directly for pricing.
8. Tanjung Rhu Resort
A 5-star resort over 1100 acres, offering a true resort experience, and putting it up there as the best Langkawi beach resort. Surrounded by trees and overlooking what you can certainly consider Langkawi’s best beach, the Tanjung Rhu Beach, bathed by the Andaman Sea.
- The Tanjung Rhu Resort is located in the northern part of the greater island, this resort is only a 1-minute walk from Kilim Geoforest Park and 12 km from Galeria Perdana museum.
- Facilities include three grand swimming pools, all with shallow areas for kids, tennis courts, water sports, a kids’ club, and babysitting. Plus 5 gourmet restaurants, a gym, an open-air yoga area, a saltwater lagoon pool, a freshwater pool, a music lounge and a game room, plus a garden with free Wi-Fi.
- There are many accommodation options to choose from, Tanjung’s 136 sleek rooms have wooden floors with Asian touches, flat-screens and DVD players, as well as minibars and safes. Bathrooms have separate tubs and showers. Some have furnished balconies. Suites add living areas with sofas. However, there is no free wifi in any of the rooms which is a negative to most. Families will need to book a suite to accomodate both adults and children.
- 90% of people on TripAdvisor rate this resort as excellent or very good.
- At the time of publishing the best rate was on booking.com for 2 adults and 2 children was $474 per night in a suite and includes breakfast.
9. Lankgawi Lagoon Resort
This Langkawi 4 star hotel is one of the upscale, beach side hotels in Langkawi designed in a mid-range mass of hotels right on the Andaman Sea in Masirat.
- The Langkawi Lagoon Beach Resort is located in Kampung Padang Masirat, a 10-minute drive from Cenang Beach, only 3 km from Langkawi International Airport, and 10 km from the scenic Langkawi Cable Car.
- Facilities include its own private beach, along with a beachfront infinity pool and adjacent children’s pool with slide, a kids’ club (at the time of publishing the kids club was under renovation), an outdoor playground, and organized activities such as kite-flying and sandcastle-building. There are 3 restaurants, 2 bistros and 2 bars (1 poolside).
- The 217 rooms come with free Wi-Fi and flat-screen TVs, and many offer sea views. Rooms in the main building feature wood furnishings and kitchenettes. Suites add balconies and sitting areas. There are also luxurious private beachfront suites built on stilts, plus private villas with gardens.
- 51% of people on TripAdvisor rate this resort as excellent or very good.
- At the time of publishing the best rate was on Booking.com for 2 adults and 2 children for $148 per night in a superior room (excludes breakfast).
10. Holiday Villa Beach Resort
This upscale Langkawi Resort offers some of the best accommodation in Langkawi. The beachfront resort is set on the Strait of Malacca in Tengah.
- The Holiday Villa Beach Resort is located 15 minutes away from Langkawi International airport, on one of Langkawi’s best beaches.
- Facilities include 4 restaurants 1 of which is a 24-hour International restaurant, a lounge and a beachfront bar. A women’s indoor pool and beach access. An outdoor pool and a hot tub, a spa and a swanky club with an infinity pool.
- There are many options of accommodation on offer but each feature balconies with pool or sea views, free Wi-Fi, flat-screen TVs, sitting areas, and tea and coffee making facilities. Suites add living/dining rooms, while upgraded suites include panoramic sea views, 2 bedrooms and/or offices with PCs. Room service is offered 24/7.
- The kids club is open daily from 10 am to 6 pm. Just be mindful though that there is no supervision or organised activities for the kids. Basically it is an indoor play area for children to go with their parents. We personally visited the room and found it only suitable for young children, probably under 5 I would suggest.
- 60% of people on TripAdvisor rate this resort as excellent or very good.
- At the time of publishing the best rate for 2 adults and 2 children was $151 per night on Agoda, in a deluxe room and includes a sofa bed for the children and breakfast.
Budget Family Accommodation in Langkawi
11. Malibest Resort
The Malibest Resort is a modest beach side hotel and is a perfect option for people wanting a budget hotel in Langkawi. We recently stayed at this budget resort and loved it, it is close to everything and on a stunning stretch of the Pantai Cenang. There is nothing special about the rooms, but they are spacious and offer everything a family needs. My only negative is that the people on the front desk weren’t very friendly or helpful, regardless we loved the hotel and would definitely stay here again.
- This Langkawi beach accommodation is located in a perfect area of Langkawi, in Pantai Cenang, and just 9 miles from Kuah.
- Facilities include a pool with kids slides. Myla absolutely loved the water slides and we could barely keep her off them. There is no restaurant at this resort, however there are several just outside the hotel either on the beach or road side.
- Chalets, rooms, Langkawi beach bungalows & tree houses are amongst the different accommodation options on offer, all of which are air conditioned and equipped with a TV and basic amenities to provide utmost comfort to guests. We stayed on the 4th floor which had stunning views across the ocean.
- 55% of people on TripAdvisor rate this resort as excellent or very good.
- At the time of publishing the best rate for 2 adults and 2 children was $50 per night in a family room (includes 2 double beds) on Booking.com. Seriously this is excellent value for money and would have to be one of the best cheap hotels in Langkawi.
12. D’Lima Beach Inn
The D’Lima Beach Inn is another one of the good hotels in Langkawi. Nestled in the heart of Pantai Cenang, D’Lima Beach Inn is an ideal spot from which to discover Langkawi. With its convenient location, the hotel offers easy access to the city’s must-see sights.
- Located not too far from the city centre: just 12 KM away, and it normally takes about 20 minutes to reach Langkawi International Airport which is only 5.5 kilometres away.
- Facilities include Wi-Fi in public areas, pool, car park, airport transfers available.
- The D’Lima Beach inn is home to 25 bedrooms, including family rooms. All are tastefully furnished and many even provide such comforts as cleaning products, clothes rack, mirror, sofa, towels.
- Unfortunately, I couldn’t find any recent trip advisor reviews for the D Lima Beach inn, however out of 20 google reviews it has gained 3 and a half stars and on Booking.com it has a rating of 6.4 out of 10.
- At the time of publishing the best rate for 2 adults and 2 children was $57 per night in a room with 2 double beds with breakfast on Booking.com.
13. Best Star Resort
The Best Star Resort is a humble beachfront 3-star resort in Pantai Cenang and a great choice for a Langkawi hotels near beach with a good location providing easy walking distance to local amenities.
- Located a 15-minute drive from Langkawi International Airport, the tourist Skycab attraction is only a mere 3.3km away, this resort would be a good base to see the popular sights.
- This Langkawi cheap resort facilities include an open-air restaurant, an outdoor pool with 2 kids slides, free WiFi, a tour desk for all of your sightseeing needs, a convenience store and meeting rooms.
- Air-conditioned rooms offer tea and coffee making facilities. A minibar and bathroom toiletries are provided. Some rooms offer sea views also.
- 40% of people on TripAdvisor rate this resort as excellent or very good.
- At the time of publishing the best rate for 2 adults and 2 children was $73 per night in a family room (includes 2 double beds) on Agoda.
14. Nadias Hotel Cenang
The Nadias Hotel Cenang is set on the tranquil beaches of Pantai Cenang.
- Langkawi International Airport is located 10 minutes away from the property and there are a variety of dining options just outside the hotel
- Facilities include buffet restaurant, indoor pool & a poolside juice bar. 24-hour front desk, prayer rooms, on-site convenience shop and laundry services. Guests can rent a car or bike or make sea sports arrangements at the front desk. Airport transfers can also be arranged here. Private yacht rentals are available on an hourly basis. Free private on-site parking is also offered.
- The clean & modern rooms at Nadias Hotel Cenang are fitted with a flat screen TV, safety deposit box, private bathroom with shower facilities and free toiletries.
- 76% of people on TripAdvisor rate this resort as excellent or very good.
- At the time of publishing the best rate for 2 adults and 2 children was $212 per night in a deluxe family room (1 double and 2 singles) which includes breakfast on Booking.com.
15. White Lodge
The comfortable 2-star White Lodge is one of the budget beachfront hotels in Langkawi situated in Pantai Cenang, with a garden setting, close to shops and restaurants.
- Located just 100 m from Cenang Beach and it is also only a 15-minute drive away from Langkawi International Airport.
- Facilities include a tour desk and free parking, Free Wifi in all areas, and a salt water swimming pool
- The brightly decorated modern rooms at White Lodge are spacious and offer air-conditioning. They are equipped with an LCD TV, a refrigerator and an electric kettle. En suite bathrooms have a shower and amenities.
- At the time of publishing the best rate for 2 adults and 2 children was $65 per night in a family room which includes 1 double and 2 single beds on Agoda.
16. Sunset Beach Resort Langkawi
The Sunset Beach Resort Langkawi is a laid-back resort is set amongst lush gardens with ponds & fountains offering a short pathway to Cenang beach. This property is near ample restaurants, bars, and shops.
- Located in Pantai Cenang, with the popular Underwater World attraction being only 200m away, a 10-minute drive into the city center, the Langkawi skycab only 11km away and many other attractions all within 14km or less. In addition, the Langkawi International Airport and Kuah town being only 20-minute drive away.
- Facilities include free WiFi in the resort’s public areas and safety deposit boxes in reception. A massage service, non-motorized water sports and a private lounging area are available on the beach for its guests.
- Cosy guestrooms/chalets offer private furnished balconies/patios, each room is air-conditioned and comes with a clothes rack and private bathroom. These spacious rooms also have mini-fridges, and kettles.
- At the time of publishing the best rate for 2 adults and 2 children was $100 per night in a family room (2 queen beds) on Agoda.
17. Perdana Beach Resort Langkawi
The 2-star Perdana Beach Resort Langkawi, is a self-catering resort. Set about 1.6 km from Atma Alam Batik Village in Padang Matsirat. Perdana Beach Resort is the ideal point of departure for your excursions in Langkawi.
- Langkawi International Airport is only 1.6 kilometers away and the city center is just 5.3 km away, the hotel’s convenient location ensures that guests can quickly and easily reach to the city’s must-see attractions. Telaga Harbour is about 1.8 km from the property, Langkawi Crocodile Farm located 5 km away and the Field of Burnt Rice, situated only 1.9 km away.
- The Perdana Beach Resort facilities on offer includes free Wi-Fi in public areas, free car parking, and an outdoor pool.
- Home to 87 bedrooms/apartments, some are family rooms and non smoking. All are tastefully furnished and include a television LCD/plasma screen, air conditioning, mini bar, balcony/terrace, fan, and fully furnished kitchenette with an electric kettle and fridge. The en suite bathrooms come with a bathtub and a hairdryer.
- 22% of people on TripAdvisor rate this resort as excellent or very good.
- At the time of publishing the best rate for 2 adults and 2 children was $68 per night in a self contained 2 bedroom apartment with 2 double beds and 1 single on Agoda.
18. NR Langkawi Motel
The 2 star NR Langkawi Motel is minutes from Tengah Beach. Relatively new only being built in 2012 is a good budget option for families who want to stay in a central spot at Pantai Tengah on a low budget.
- Located just a 5 minute walk from the beach and 10 minutes to the main strip in Pantai Cenang, guests will love that many amenities are in easy reach. Here you are close to Underwater World, Cenang Mall, restaurants, bars and shops. In addition Langkawi Airport is just a short distance away (7.37 KM).
- Facilities include a free car park and free Wi-Fi in public areas. There is no pool at this motel.
- There are only 9 rooms to choose from at this motel, but they come in a range including 4-person rooms, each include an ironing board, balcony/terrace, television (no English channels), and complimentary bottled water.
- 92% of people on TripAdvisor rate this resort as excellent or very good.
- At the time of publishing the best rate for 2 adults and 2 children was $59 per night in a family room (2 double beds) on Agoda.
Best Time to Visit Langkawi
The best time to visit Langkawi for an awesome Langkawi holiday is during the driest months of December to March, as this time of year is best for beach and outdoor activities and water sports. The temperatures would be at the highest during this time of year so to be sure to constantly slip, slap, slop on the sunscreen. As the bulk of tourism as at its height during these months make sure you pre-book as many tours and activities as possible beforehand to avoid disappointment on trips being sold out.
Is neither dry nor rainy time to visit langkawi, it spans from mid-April until August. The mornings are again sunny, but the afternoons can be overcast, and may have some short spurts of rain in the afternoons and evenings. Many still visit at this time of year as there are not as many tourists as high season making everything easily accessible and shorter ques on attractions and less wait times in restaurants.
The Low (wet) season
September to October is a period most tourists tend to avoid when booking a holiday in langkawi, as the normally calm seas can become rough thus limiting boat tours and water-based activities. However even during the rainy season, it rains only for about 2 hours a day but usually in the late afternoon and at night. So, you still get relatively dry days with sunshine, about 6 to 7 hours on an average. September is also one the coolest months with average temperature around 27°C. So, if you don’t mind a bit of rain and want less tourists around, want cheaper accommodation and would love to see the rainforests in full bloom & greenery, as well as wanting to avoid the scorching sun, then this is the best time to visit Langkawi.
Things to do in Langkawi
Not sure what to do in Langkawi with kids? Click here to read out tips on everything there is to do in Langkawi.
Getting to Lankgawi
As Langkawi has its own international airport, the easiest and fastest way to getting to Langkawi is by air. Langkawi is directly connected to Australia, China and Japan and some closest cities like Phuket, Singapore and Seoul, you can also reach Langkawi airport via flights from Penang and Kuala Lumpur. Some journeys offer direct routes, some flights will incur connecting flights. The main direct routes are Kula Lumpa to langkawi, Singapore to Langkawi, Bangkok to Langkawi or penang to langkawi.
The cheapest flights to Langkawi are provided by Malaysia Airline, AirAsia, & other budget airlines. Click here and check for the best flight prices on Skyscanner.
You can also get to Langkawi by Ferry, if you are visiting Penang first and planning to visit Langakwi Island then ferry is probably your best option.
Cruises are always an ideal mode of transport to visit islands, however they will only encompass limited number of days depending on your cruise itinerary. Star Cruises of Malaysia regularly visit Langkawi. Queen Mary 2, comes from Dubai and London occasionally. If you are coming from Singapore then you will have several options like Costa Victoria of Costa, Azamara Club Cruises and Legend of the Seas. Sea Princess comes from Sydney and Dawn Princess comes from Perth.
Langkawi to Koh Lipe
We combined our trip to Langkawi with a stay on the nearby Thai island Koh Lipe. To get from Langkawi to Koh Lipe in you will need to take a boat to Koh Lipe from either Telaga Harbor or Kuah.
From Telaga Harbor, the ferry schedule from Langkawi to Koh Lipe operates between the months of October to May. Getting the ferry from Langkawi to Koh Lipe takes 90 minutes and operates as follows:
Langkawi (Malay Time) Koh Lipe (Thai Time)
9.30 AM 10.00 AM
12.30 PM 13.00 PM
Koh Lipe (Thai Time) Langkawi (Malay Time)
10.30 AM 1.00 PM
4.30 PM 7.00 PM
The Langkawi to Koh Lipe ferry price was between 110.00 to 128.00 RM.
The boat from Langkawi to Koh Lipe (from Telaga Harbor) is pictured above. This is the ferry we took over to Koh Lipe and found the ride very comfortable. You are required to hand over your passports before boarding, which is a bit scary, you then obtain them at the immigration centre once getting to Koh Lipe. The whole process is fairly straight forward and very well organised.
We booked out tickets from one of the travel agencies in Cenang during our time in Langkawi. Ticket prices include pick up from our hotel to the harbour. For our journey from Koh Lipe to Langkawi we booked our tickets at a travel agency in Walking Street once we were in Koh Lipe.
For those wondering how to get to Koh Lipe from Langkawi when the ferry is not operating from Telaga Harbour, you will need to take the ferry from Kuah Jetty. The current time table is as follows:
Langkawi (Malay Time) Koh Lipe (Thai Time)
9.45 AM 10.15 AM
2.30 PM 3.00 PM
Koh Lipe (Thai Time) Langkawi (Malay Time)
11.00 AM 1.30 PM
3.45 PM 6.15 PM
At the time of publishing the Langkawi to Koh Lipe ferry price was 118.00 RM per adult and 100 RM per child.
Getting Around Langkawi
There’s no public transport as such in Langkawi, therefore, your options for getting around Langkawi are limited to hiring a car, motorbike, bicycle or using taxis/Uber.
Taxis are fairly cheap and easy way to get around. We took a taxi from the airport to Cenang which cost 25 MR (if you prefer to arrange transfers in advance click here to book private airport transfers from $16.70 AUD), we also took a taxi to the cable car which cost 35 MR each way. There is no need to negotiate a price for a taxi nor are they metred – but the prices are set and are consistent, so there is no need to be concerned about being ripped off. Uber and Grab is also widely used in Langkawi and a really simple and cheap way to get around and even cheaper than taxi’s.
If you would like your own transport to get around you can hire a car or motor bike. Car rental is around 50.00 RM a day, whilst motor bikes are around 35 RM a day.
Other options include hiring a car and driver for the day, prices start at just $52.90 for 4 hours – click here to make a booking.
Please note that this post contains affiliate links, which means that should make any bookings using my links, I may be paid a small commission at no extra cost to you. This allows me to provide this information free of charge – thank you for supporting our website.
Want to save this information for later?
Click on one of the images below and save it to Pinterest.