Please note that this post contains affiliate links, which means if you make a purchase via these links I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Are you trying to figure out what present to buy a child who loves traveling? Maybe they are your niece or nephew or perhaps even your own child. Well luckily you found our travel kids gift guide 2017, because here we have 20 of the best travel gifts for kids this year. Whether you are looking for gifts under $10 of over $100 or various points in between, gifts for toddlers, school aged or teenagers, we have got the perfect unique travel gift ideas for kids.
I personally recommend all these travel gifts for kids and in many cases we have these items ourselves so can speak from personal experiences.
21 of the Best Travel Gifts for Kids this Christmas 2017
Younger kids are going to love the Skootcase. Designed like an Italian scooter, this is a ride on case with steering as well as space for all the child needs for their trip.
The Skootcase is a carry on piece of luggage which also has a sturdy strap so you can carry it over your shoulder when the little is not riding it.
The Skootcase comes in blue or pink and was the winner of the Dr. Toy’s Best Vacation Products Award.
The VTech Kidizoom camera is a great gift for those wanna be travel photographers. This is perfect for the little photographers as it is durable camera, easy to use with both rear and front cameras (perfect for selfies). Some other great features that I love about this camera include:
- Photo Optimization – when a photo is taken the camera actually takes multiple photos, chooses the best and saves that one;
- Movie recording;
- 5 different voice effects;
- Creative options to enhance photos such as frames, stickers and effects;
- Parent control – parents can limit the play time for the games as well as disable the game setting; and
- 256 MB of memory or a SD card can be used.
This camera is recommend for kids over the age of 3 and comes in a variety of colours including pink, blue and camouflage.
When you have no idea what to by the older traveling tween, an iTunes gift cardis a safe idea. This allows the child to purchase whatever they want from the iTunes store for music, movies, books and games to keep them entertained during their travels.
4. Tickets for Experiences around the World
If you know where the young traveler is headed, why not talk to their parents (or maybe you are the parent) and purchase them tickets for a fabulous experience. Tickets could include theme parks, water parks, zoos, the options are endless.
Klook sells vouchers for some great attractions and tours from all over the world and quite often their tickets are cheaper than going direct with the attraction. Klook sells tickets to attractions in destinations such as Tokyo, the Gold Coast, Los Angeles, Singapore, London, Melbourne and many more.
A friend of ours recently gave Myla this atlas and it is one of her favourite books. She just loves looking at all the different countries in the world, learning about them and deciding where she wants to explore next. I think an atlas is a must for all traveling kids.
The National Geographic Atlas of the World is packed with information about the world, people, cultures, languages, plants and animal. The pages a filled with vibrant colours and engaging photography to keep kids entertained for hours.
Keep the kids writing throughout their travels and gift them with this Lonely Planet kids travel journal. The journal comes with writing topic suggestions, lists to complete and heaps of ideas for the kids on how best to record their travel memories. There is heaps of space for writing, drawing and collage keep children entertained for hours.
The Lonely Planet travel journal is recommend for children from the ages of 5 to 8 years of age.
We love keeping track of the countries we visit in a visual way and would love one of these. Currently we keep a map of the world with pins to track places we have been. Sometimes these pins fall out creating a bit of a hazard, so this scratch off world map like this would be perfect.
As well as being able to scratch of countries you have visited, countries like the USA, Canada and Australia allow you to scratch off states and you can scratch off flags too. The map also comes with a scratching tool, memory stickers, eraser for scratch smudges and a magnifying strip.
This map would look fantastic in any child traveler’s bedroom.
For long haul flights or road trips, neck support is a must for everyone in the family including the kids. These cute character neck pillows are specially designed for children from the age of 1 years of age and come in a range of designs including giraffe, monkey, dog and leopard.
Not only are these neck pillows cute and cuddly, for each purchase Animal Planet donates a proportion to R.O.A.R an organisation which is dedicated to making the world a better place for animals.
Kids need a set of headphones to listen to their own devices whilst traveling and I just love the wireless headphones, no more tangled cords to worry about. There is so much to love about the LilGadgets headphones:
- Another child can plug their headphones into these so both children can watch the same device;
- Comes with a microfiber carry pouch and micro-USB charging cable;
- Volume control;
- 12 hour battery life and 180 hours standby;
- Specially desgined in sized and durability for children; and
- Compatibale with most bluetooth devices.
Another great aspect of purchasing from LilGadgets is that a proportion of every sale goes towards bullying prevention in schools.
These wireless headphones come in a range of bright and funky colours for kids and are suitable for children from the age of 4.
Kids of all ages are going to love having their very own personalized passport holder. With the child’s name on the front their will be no more confusion over who’s passport is who’s.
These passport holders which are by Handmade Curious come in sooo many designs its ridiculous!! The passport holders are scratch resistant faux leather, with a sleeve for a passport as well as two pockets for cards.
The older children will love having this stylish yet durable over the body sling bag. The Mosiso Sling Bag is made from water repellent polyester with good quality zippers.
It is a fantastic size for travel with a variety of different compartments such as:
- Large compartment to carry devices such as a camera, kindle or iPad;
- Mesh compartments on both sides for water bottles;
- Separate compartment for phone, power bank and wallet or purse; and
- Section for keeping power cords and documents.
The Mosiso Sling Bag comes in a range of great colours including grey, black, blue, purple and red.
Its fantastic when the kids can start to carry their own packs. From the ages of around 6 – 7 years of age, I recommend getting your child fitted for their own pack. I recommend something like this Osprey Porter 30 liter. Whilst at a young age I don’t recommend jamming it full, pack it to a weight they can safely carry – this way you have a pack that the child can grow into.
I have the Osprey Porter 46 liter and just love it. Here are some of its great features:
- Compression with padded wings and lower panels secures and protects your items;
- Shoulder harness and hip belt is full adjustable and can be stowed away inside the bag when not in use;
- Lockable rear panel zip for laptop or tablet for easy access during security checks at airports; and
- Small front pocket for quick access to small items.
The Osprey Porter 30 liter comes in a range of colors including teal, black, grey or red.
I also recommend checking out the 28 L CabinZero Classic and for a limited time these guys are offering a 10% discount for your entire order.
This one is for the child traveler who loves to read. Kids can preload all their favourite books to read whilst travelling. It doesn’t have to be just for the older kids either, there are plenty of picture books you can load onto the kindle for the younger travelers.
The Kindle Paperwhite is one of the most popular kindles. Here are some of its features:
- Highest Resolution e-reader display for crisp, laser quality text;
- No glare in bright sunlight;
- Lightweight so can easily hold with one hand – perfect for little children; and
- 1 charge can last up to 6 weeks.
For the budding adventure travel photographer, the Go Pro Hero 6would be a dream gift. Here are some super cool features of the GoPro Hereo 6:
- Automatically sends footage to your phone for upload to social media;
- High quality footage – with vastly improved image quality from previous models;
- Video stabilization;
- Waterproof to 33 feet (10 metres);
- Touch zoom; and
- Wi-fi to make it simple for sending images and videos to your phone.
Of course there are also endless of GoPro accessories that you can use with the Hero 6 – so you will be set with gift ideas for future birthdays and Christmases.
All kids love taking photographs of themselves, and a selfie stick allows them to take greats photograph of them self while travelling.
We just love the Cygnett Selfie Stick, as not only is it a selfie stick, but you can also use it as a tripod and it has a remote which connects to your phone via blue tooth so no need for messing around with timers.
Ok yes some drone’s can be crazy expensive, but here I am only talking about a cheaper type drone as a great gift idea for travelling kids. Drone’s can be tricky to master, so even if you have the cash, I highly recommend you start out with something cheap. The budding videographer will absolutely love this as a gift and be able to capture some smashing footage of your family trips.
The DBPOWER MJX X400W FPV Drone is a great priced entry level drone for the kids. Some if its features include:
- Real time transmission, via an app on your phone you can see what your drone sees in real time and can take photos and videos whenever you like;
- 3D flip and roll – this drone can perform 360 degree flips;
- Beginner and Expert speed which allows you to practice your flying skills; and
- LED light for night flying.
I don’t know how many trips we have been on, where the guide has handed out binoculars for the adults to get a better view of the crocodile or bird or whatever it may be we are looking at and the binoculars are to heavy or big for Myla to use. So a specially designed set of binoculars would be a great gift for a child who was off on a wildlife adventure.
The Kidwinz Shock Proof Kids Binoculars set are great for kids as they have been specially designed with kids in mind and so have the following features:
- Rubber surrounded eyepieces to protect little one’s eyes and face;
- Fantastic magnification and easy to focus;
- Shock proof so it can withstand drops and falls on the floor; and
- includes carry bag, cleaning cloth and neck strap.
With all the devices kids carry these days, it is essential for them to have their own portable charger. Whilst Mum and Dad might have their own, for older children its great for them to have their own and be responsible for charging their own devices whilst travelling.
Depending upon how many devices the child has to charge or perhaps the portable charger is a joint gift for multiple children will depend upon what sort of charger you should buy.
More more than 1 device I would recommend getting a portable charger with a high capacity like the RAVPower 22000mAH. This charger can charge 3 devices at once multiple times over before going flat.
If you are looking for a small portable charger for one device than something like the Jackery Bar 6000mAH is ideal.
Kids just love playing with torches and will love having one of their very own. We find head lamps great for travelling as they free your hands up for whatever it is your doing and don’t take up a lot of space in your bag.
The Blitzu i2 Headlight is great for kids as it claims to be indestructible! It can withstand drops of up to 1.5 meters as well as being water resistant. Some other great features include:
- Lightweight and adjustable so perfect for growing heads;
- The headlamp tilts so you can aim the light where you need it; and
- Comes in a range of funky colours so you can get each child a different colour to know whose is whose.
We love to have music wherever we go, so a small portable speaker for us is an essential travel item. Kids of all ages will just love being able to listen to their own music whilst traveling.
I love the JAM Plus portable speaker for travelling kids as it is nice and compact at only 3 inches in diameter and 3 inches high, but with a great sound quality. Kids will love the range of funky colours it comes in, and you buy different colours for different children so everyone knows who’s speaker is whose.
Some other great features include:
- Bluetooth and wireless so no tangling cords;
- You can pair two speakers together for enhanced audio;
- Rechargeable batteries which provide up to 4 hours of play;
- You can connect non Bluetooth devices to the speaker; and
- Comes with a USB charger so you can easily recharge it.
Once upon a time, people would have a heart attack if I suggested a laptop as a gift for a child. However these days many children have iPad and tablets and for me a child can get far more use out of laptop.
I am recommending the MacBook Air,as I can speak from personal experience as this is the laptop that I travel with and use on a day to day basis. Here are a few of the reasons I love the MacBook Air and recommend it as a great gift for an older child:
- MacBook Air is so light, making it fantastically portable;
- You can watch movies on it, play games, listen music – basically everything you can do with a tablet so it is fantastic for keeping kids entertained whilst travelling;
- Up to 12 hours of battery life so it will go for hours and hours;
- Small and compact so easy to pack in your back pack;
- 2 USB ports for connecting to other devices;
- SD card slot so you can download and edit your photos as you travel; and
- Keyboard so you can type, or kids can catch up on their homework whilst they travel.
I don’t recommend the MacBook for smaller children, as it is very fragile and could easily be damaged, however it makes a great gift for older children that can use it not only whilst travelling but for their school work as well.
Thrifty Family Travels is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com, amazon.co.uk, amazon.ca. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.
If you want to keep this handy for later, click on one of the images below and save it to Pinterest.