So you’ve decided to take the kids to Great Keppel Island and now you’ve just got to choose which is the perfect Great Keppel Island accommodation. Well, you’re in luck as there are some lovely places to choose from in terms of accommodation Great Keppel Island offers.
No matter what your style or budget, there is something for everyone at Great Keppel Island. There are luxury beachfront Great Keppel Island resort options, as well as low key cabins, holiday houses and there is even Great Keppel Island camping options too.
To help you choose the very best Great Keppel accommodation for your family getaway, this guide covers in detail all the different options for accommodation on Great Keppel Island. There is also a map so you can see exactly where the different options are located. Now all you have to do is choose the perfect option for your family.
So let’s get into it and you the perfect holiday accommodation Great Keppel Island offers!
Are you planning a trip to Queensland? Have any questions? Join our Queensland Travel Planning Facebook group here now! It’s the perfect place to ask any questions and to be inspired!
This post may contain compensated links. Please refer to my disclaimer here for more information.
- 1 Great Keppel Island Accommodation Map
- 2 Overview of the Accommodation on Great Keppel Island
- 3 Accommodation Great Keppel Island Options
- 4 Great Keppel Island Camping
Great Keppel Island Accommodation Map
Below is a map where you can easily see where all the accommodation options are located on Great Keppel Island. As you can see, most of the Great Keppel Island hotels are located around Fisherman Beach – this is where you will find a few cafes as well as places to hire water sports equipment.
Overview of the Accommodation on Great Keppel Island
Below is a super quick overview of all the family holiday accommodation reviewed in this guide. You can use this overview to quickly determine which option is right for you and your family. For a more comprehensive review, keep reading below.
|Name||Room Options||Property Facilities||Book Now|
|Great Keppel Island Hideaway||Self contained cabins, holiday house, motel style rooms, basic rooms with shared bathroom & cooking facilities||Restaurant||Book Now|
|Great Keppel Island Holiday Village||Cabins, holiday house, dorm style rooms & campsites||Shared kitchen & BBQ area||Book Now|
|Keppel Lodge||Motel style rooms||Shared kitchen, living area & laundry||Book Now|
|Svendsen's Beach Eco Retreat||Holiday house, studio or tents||NA||Book Now|
|Airbnb Holiday House||Holiday Home||Pool table, BBQ, laundry & boat mooring - also dog friendly||Book Now|
Accommodation Great Keppel Island Options
In no particular order, below is an overview of the various accommodation options available on Great Keppel Island.
One of the largest resorts on the island, Great Keppel Island Hideaway is a great option for families looking for accommodation. They offer a range of accommodation options from gorgeous beachfront cabins to motel style rooms and budget dorm options.
Here is a quick overview of the different accommodation options at Great Keppel Hideaway:
- Island Cabins: Can accommodate from 4 to 6 guests and are fully self contained with a basic kitchenette, full size fridge, ensuite and AC. Some cabins are beachfront. Prices start from $200 per night.
- Garden Rooms: These are motel style rooms with an ensuite, bar fridge, tea and coffee making facilities and AC. Can sleep up to 2 adults and 2 children. Prices start from $140 per night.
- Family Rooms: These budget style rooms can accommodate up to 4 and come with AC and shared facilities, including a shared bathroom, kitchen and BBQ facilities. Prices start from $130 per night.
- A Frame and Hideaway House: Both these houses can accommodate up to 6 guests and come completely self contained with a kitchen, dining, lounge, bathroom and outdoor BBQ area. Only Hideaway House has AC while the A Frame House has ceiling fans. Prices start from $275 per night.
Facilities at the Hideaway Great Keppel Island include a fully licenced restaurant which has fabulous views across the beach. For guests staying at the Great Keppel resort, there is free wifi (not in the rooms though), mini golf, cricket and more.
Click here to read our full review on the Great Keppel Island Hideaway (coming soon) or click here to check availability and current pricing.
Right next door to Great Keppel Island Hideaway Resort is Great Keppel Island Holiday Village, located on the same gorgeous stretch of beach. Like Hideaway – the Holiday Village offers laid back, basic style accommodation in a stunning setting on Great Keppel Island.
Accommodation at Great Keppel Holiday Village is varied from cabins with ensuites, to family homes and even campsites. Here is a quick overview of the different accommodation options:
- Keppel House: This is perfect for families as across it’s two stories it can accommodate up to 6 people in a queen bed and 2 single beds. This Great Keppel Island holiday house is fully self contained with a kitchen, two bathrooms, verandas and more. Prices start at $210 per night.
- Dolphin Cottage: Another great option for families being able to accommodate 5 people in 1 queen, a double and a single bed across two bedrooms. The cottage is fully self contained. Prices start at $170 per night.
- Cabins: These Great Keppel Island cabins are great for those on a budget, they can accommodate up to 4 guests in a 1 queen and two single beds The cabins also provide a fridge, fan, private bathroom, lounge and indoor and outdoor tables and chairs. Prices start at $160 per night.
- Glamping Tents: No need to bring your own gear, because these tents are already set up for you. These tents are suitable for two people in either a double bed or two singles and include linen, lights, fans and a small outdoor deck. Prices start at $120 per night.
- Twin Rooms: For a dorm style room, there are twin rooms which come with two single beds, lamps, fans and outdoor chairs on the patio. Prices start at $100 per night.
- Multi Share Rooms: These rooms come with a double bed and two singles. Prices start at $40 per night.
- Camping Sites: If you bring your own tent, you can even camp here at one of the six different sites available. Prices start at $25 per night.
There are some great facilities at the Great Keppel Island Village designed to enable you to fully self cater as much or as little as you like. There is a fully equipped communal kitchen and BBQ area available, which includes everything you could possibly need to cook your meals while on the island.
Of course, like all the accommodation on the island, the beach is not far away, which offers an array of different activities.
Great Keppel Lodge
Just a few 100 metres south down Fishermans Beach from the Hideaway Resort and the Holiday Village is Great Keppel Lodge. This beachfront accommodation is just metres from the white sand and crystal clear water making it a great option for families looking for accommodation on Great Keppel Island.
The lodge is fairly small contained to the previous accommodation options, with the entire resort able to sleep just 17 people in four motel style rooms. The room can accommodate a family of up to 5 people with a bedding configuration of a queen and 3 single beds.
Each of the rooms at the Great Keppel Island Lodge has their own private bathroom and deck and then open up to a large shared living area. There is a kitchen for all guests to use so they can prepare their own meals as well as tea and coffee making facilities, a dining area and a large deck with beach views. Other amenities on site include free wifi, TV and a washing machine.
Rooms start at $200 per night.
If you prefer to get away from the main tourist area on Great Keppel Island, then you’re going to want to have a look at Svendsen’s Beach Eco Resort. Accessible only by boat or helicopter, this small and secluded resort is far from all the other island guests and day-trippers.
First up though – this retreat is only available for families with children aged 14+, if your children are younger then this, then you’re going to need to stay at one of the other accommodation options.
The resort offers a range of accommodation options including safari style tents, a studio cabin or a two bedroom beach house. Below is a brief overview of the different accommodation options.
- Safari Tents: Come with solid timber beds, lamps, fans and an outdoor deck with chairs. Prices start at $120 per night.
- Studio Cabin: This cabin can sleep up 3 people in the 1 queen and 1 single bed. The cabin also includes a spacious deck. Prices start at $240 per night.
- Two Bedroom Beach House: This house can sleep up 5 people with each bedroom coming with 1 queen and 1 single bed. The house also includes a fully equipped kitchen, lounge and verandah. Prices start at $260 per night.
There is no restaurant on site, or anywhere nearby, so you will need to bring all your own food to Svendsen’s. However, if you’re staying in the tents or cabin, there are cooking facilities available to prepare all your own meals. You’ll also have your own private beach hut down by the beach.
There is only ever a maximum number of 6 guests at any given time – with either a group in the house or another group in the other area. There is also no staff on site, so you’ve pretty much got the place to yourself.
To reach the retreat, it is a 1.5 hour, 6 km walk from the ferry at Fisherman’s Beach. Another option is to arrange transfers with the retreat owners who will pick you up in their private boat for a cost of $15 per person each way.
If you’re looking for an Airbnb Great Keppel Island option, there is one place which was listed at the time of publishing (in addition to Svendens which we’ve linked to above). This is a spaciousthree bedroom home which can accommodate up to 8 people and located just metres from Fishermans Beach.
This is a two storey home which has three bedrooms. Each of the bedrooms has a queen bed and in the family room is a set of bunk beds – so this place is great for a big family or even a group of friends travelling together.
The house also has a large fully equipped kitchen so you can prepare all your own meals. The living area opens up to a large deck which has great views across Fisherman Beach.
Downstairs there is plenty of living space with a pool table and lounge area, as well as a BBQ for entertaining. The house also comes with two bathrooms, a washing machine and even has a private mooring where you can keep your boat!
This is also the only place on the entire island, which is dog friendly!
Prices start at $275 per night.
Great Keppel Island Camping
We mentioned above that there are even camping Great Keppel Island options available at the Great Keppel Island Holiday Village. However, if you prefer to absolutely get away from it all have your very own slice of paradise, as well as camping on Great Keppel Island, you can camp at the various islands surrounding GKI – with pretty much no one else around.
What’s even better than camping on your very own tropical island, is that the other Keppel Islands are all part of the Keppel Bay Islands National Park, so they come with cheap National Park camping rates too!
If this sounds like something you want to know more about – then click here to read our detailed guide we wrote on our sister site Queensland Camping, all about camping on the Keppel Islands.
Hopefully, you found this guide to where to stay on Great Keppel Island with family helpful and it has inspired you to take your kids for a visit.